Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dream reader

When I was a little girl I had this recurring nightmare about pennies. Something so innocent and simple really shook me to my core. In the dream I lived in some apartment I'd never actually seen before (isn't it weird how dreams create these places you've never known), and these seemingly perfectly harmless pennies would slide across the carpet. If they touched you they electrically shocked you and you would die. Because of this dream, those commercials that came on a few years ago where the loose change came sliding out from all over the house to create like a shoe or a set of headphones really freaked me out.

I tend to have story-like dreams, probably due to me being a writer. There's a tale in almost every one, a story of distress or redemption, of love or horror (although the horrific ones are really rare). I had a dream once that I had been kidnapped by these awful men who kept me captive on a ledge jutting out of the side of their castle in Sweden, and suddenly it began to snow (somehow, they had never seen snow before) and their guard watching me was frozen to death (how he was and not me, who wore nothing but a tattered long white t-shirt, is a mystery). I took that opportunity to escape, and ran away to another castle a few miles away, where a young man took me in, and when the other men came looking for me at his castle, he turned them away, ensuring them he'd seen no one matching the description of me they gave.

A dream I had a few weeks ago consisted of me and several men (one of them supposed to be my father - but I'd never seen him before in my life that I can remember) were on some kind of road trip and we stopped at a grocery store to get something. As soon as we walked in my father told me to run and hide, and so I did, in the back of the store. But stupidly I made my way back to the front in order to see what was going on, and a woman dressed as a cop but obviously not one stopped me. She got a big man in cahoots with her to come help and they kidnapped me. They brought me to this forest where they had also kidnapped and brought a young man and tied him up. They made camp and while they were sleeping, the boy and I made off into the darkness.

I've had millions of hilarious and strange and unexplainable and entertaining dreams, each of them inspiring or funny to me. Dreams are a crucial part of my being a writer. I'd be nowhere without the intrigue of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment